Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Should We or Shouldn't We??

Should Christian's practice Yoga?

This issue surfaced yesterday in a discussion with my good friend. See, the church I was so excited about yesterday offers Yoga classes as part of its giant rec building (huge ministry of the church and part of it is exercises classes). I have always been troubled by this. So yesterday, my friend got up the courage to email the pastor and ask him about it.

I see Christians dividing on this issue. For me, I used to think it was OK as long as you didn't do the meditative things or if you did you focus on Jesus. I have since, in my mind, been convicted that this is not true. But is this conviction the same for everyone? Obviously no, but should it be? I have another good friend who loves Yoga. She sees nothing wrong with it (and I would add that she is a pretty solid Christian).

So I looked up the definition of Yoga on Wikipedia. Here is what it said:

Yoga (Sanskrit, Pāli: योग yóga) consists of traditional physical and mental disciplines that originated in India.[1] Yoga has meditative practices in Hinduism, Buddhism and Jainism.[2][3][4] Within Hinduism, yoga is one of the six orthodox (āstika) schools of Hindu philosophy, and is the goal toward which that school directs its practices.[5][6] In Jainism yoga is the sum total of all activities—mental, verbal and physical.

Major branches of yoga in Hindu philosophy include Rāja Yoga, Karma Yoga, Jnana Yoga, Bhakti Yoga, and Hatha Yoga.[7][8][9] Raja Yoga, compiled in the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali, and known simply as yoga in the context of Hindu philosophy, is part of the Samkhya tradition.[10] Many other Hindu texts discuss aspects of yoga, including Upanishads, the Bhagavad Gita, the Hatha Yoga Pradipika, the Shiva Samhita and various Tantras.

The Sanskrit word yoga has many meanings,[11] and is derived from the Sanskrit root "yuj", meaning "to control", "to yoke" or "to unite."[12] Translations include "joining", "uniting", "union", "conjunction", and "means".[13][14][15] An alternate root from which the word yoga may be derived is "yujir samadhau", which means "contemplation" or "absorption."[16] This translation fits better with the dualist Raja Yoga because it is through contemplation that discrimination between prakrti (nature) and purusha (pure consciousness) occurs. Outside India, the term yoga is typically associated with Hatha Yoga and its asanas (postures) or as a form of exercise. Someone who practices yoga or follows the yoga philosophy to a high level of attainment is called a yogi or yogini.[17]


That definition scares me. Yoga is clearly rooted in eastern religions that are not part of Christianity. Now, yesterday I also listed to Mark Driscoll answer this question (it was part of a Q&A he did with his church as he preaches through Luke). He said Christians should have NOTHING to do with Yoga and that the practice of religion in yoga cannot separate from the stretches, breathing, meditation, etc. He also said it doesn't matter if you chant "Jesus" - Satan doesn't care what you chant as long as you do what he wants.

Now back to the pastor's email. Basically he said that the class is exercises and that there is even sometimes a small Bible study. He did not answer if the two can be separated. He didn't elaborate if meditation was involved. In the end, I feel no better after reading his response than I did when I saw they offered Yoga! However, he did state the church would not tolerate false teachings.

Choosing a new church is so important and I want to be sure we choose wisely. Is the fact that they offer Yoga a reason to NOT go there? Or is this an issue we can agree to disagree on? I would appreciate any insight!

So here is the question....if the yoga class is simply stretches, no chants, no meditation, none of that - is it simply excercise? What about the poses? I had read somewhere that ALL poses are sacrifices to other gods. They each have a specific meaning behind them. Even Mark Driscoll said this yesterday, when you practice yoga your are making yourself a living sacrifice unto a god - direct opposite of what the Bible exhorts us to do in Romans.

If all yoga is wrong - then seriously many Christians are deceived! Kay Arthur said today in my study on Jeremiah, "People do not want to hear the truth, they love deception." If all this yoga is wrong, Satan is pulling a real number over on us all.

Thoughts??

3 comments:

tammi said...

Oh man, I'd have a tough time with that one, too! I believe that the vast majority of people ~ Christians and non-Christians alike ~ who practice yoga have never delved into its origins and meanings, don't care to because they feel it has no bearing on the practice today, and do see it as mere exercise. However, I don't believe this makes it right. It is, however unfortunately, a reflection of society's incredible influence on the Church. Most Christians I know would also argue there's nothing wrong with it as long as you don't participate in the spiritual aspect of it.

I see why you're torn. And that the pastor sort of evaded the question would bother me, too.

Here's a YouTube video I watched a while back ~ a news clip with the two different viewpoints, one presented by John MacArthur and one by Doug Pagitt. (I particularly like MacArthur's final comments. I think he really gets to the heart of the matter.)

Desiree said...

wowza, I hear you on this one. Fortunately our pastor preaches against following things like yoga. It was good for me to read that definition though, as sometimes I start to think, "Is it really so bad?" I would probably say here that if the pastor is allowing it in the church, that in itself says something, doesn't it? If he thinks that Yoga is OK then what else is OK?

Paula said...

Hi Dana, I've popped over from Laced with Grace. The issue of yoga is a tough one! I have done yoga in the past, and even did a session via DVD with my daughter a few weeks back. I actualy feel bad when I do yoga now due to its history, the link with chakras, etc. A Christian friend does pilates, so I think I'll check that out. Your pastor did overlook the major point of your question. Why not offer pilates instead? Or even just some stretching exercises that are offered as warm up and warm downs in the gym? Yoga is more than just stretches. Paula :)