Yesterday, Jules at Everyday Mommy posted an excerpt from Ann Voskamp's book, One Thousand Gifts: A Dare to Live Fully Where You Are. I am just going to link the post instead of recreating it. Read it, read the excerpt and the comments
here. For the record, I was appalled at what was said in Ms. Voskamp's book. I really don't know anything about her personally, her testimony or anything else. But these passages bother me.
4 comments:
I'm not really a fan of her writing style to begin with, but this particular passage does make me a little uncomfortable.
I agree intimacy with God is something to be desired, and I believe His desire for intimacy with us is one of the reasons we have the Song of Solomon in our Bibles. But somehow describing that intimacy with terms used to describe human sexual experience is just, I don't know.... icky. The union between man and wife is the most accurate physical example of the closeness God desires, but somehow the mental images just don't fit the point I think God is trying to get across.
Yes, I agree. It makes me uneasy to think of God in "that" way. I think God designed sex to be something unique and special between a husband and wife. It is a gift and trying to recreate it in a mystical union is a bit weird.
BTW, I've heard stuff like this before but more in some of the charasmatic circles, not so much in the main stream and with the types of endorsements this book rec'd. That bothers me also...do people read, I mean really read, what they endores???
I'm not always convinced they do!!
Hi Dana...thank you for the link. Sadly this belief, called Briday Mysticism, is prevalent in Charismatic circles and is a cornerstone of the teachings of the IHOP-International House of Prayer.
You have a lovely blog :) I enjoyed seeing your camping blog also. Our family camps in a pop-up and we love it.
Post a Comment