Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Bieber Fever

All the new talk is about Justin Bieber. I guess tween's will go from one sensation to the next.

With the new movie out, Justin Bieber is every where. Even though we don't listen to his music, the kids know who he is --- thanks to neighborhood girls who have "Bieber Fever." Other than his song, "Never Say Never" which was featured in the new Karate Kid movie, I don't even know anything by him. We are staying sheltered in the CCM realm pretty well these days.

But with the release of the movie, I am finding more and more people jumping on the bandwagon because the movie portrays a somewhat "Christian" Bieber who prays before concerts and has a mom who is fairly outspoken about her faith. I was hopeful, at first. He seems like a nice enough young man. Yet, his music (from lyrics I have read online) really talk about things I'm not ready to let my children listen to. They speak of boyfriend/girlfriend love that my 10 year old (and the younger ones) don't really need infiltration their minds yet.

Further, I'm concerned that because of his Christian claim, some may let their guard down. I noticed an interview Bieber gave to Rolling Stone Magazine. I happened to see the blurb on CNN's website. So I read some of it. When asked about sex, Justin replies:


"I don't think you should have sex with anyone unless you love them," Bieber says. When asked if he believes in abstinence until marriage, Bieber – who is reportedly dating fellow teen star Selena Gomez – seems wary: "I think you should just wait for the person you're...in love with."

Please hear me out, I am not attempting to be judgemental of Bieber's character or faith. What I am pointing out is that what he is advocating is not what the Bible teaches. My fear is that because so many young girls look up to him and he says something is OK as long as your "in love," that posses a problem. Moms, we have to be on the guard for our girls! We have to help them understand exactly why what Justin Beiber says isn't Biblical - even if it sounds good or he comes across as having much faith in a movie.

Besides, what 10 year old knows what "love" is!?

After reading Dannah Gresh's book, "How to Keep the Little in Your Girl," I learned that little girls being overexposed to sex at a young age increases their chances for promiscuity. It may seem old fashioned or out of date, but I long to see my girls (and my little guy) embrace purity and save that very special gift for a man (and a wife for Caleb) as God intended. My conviction is that listening to constant music about boyfriends / girlfriends, loving, kissing, etc and then a teen sensation saying sex is basically OK if your in love isn't the best choice for my family.

I gave into the Hannah Montana thing. I even bought the the whole Christian thing. I regret that I allowed my girls to embrace Hannah Montana. Not so much because it was bad but because Miley Cyrus tarnished the sweet image by sending our girls the message that you can live two lives - a sweet and wholesome teen rock star and a bad girl pushing every limit possible.

The Miley saga continues to get worse. Did anyone happen to catch the interview Billy Ray Cyrus gave last week? He knows he has a BIG problem on his hands and he sat by too long and did nothing.

Maybe Justin Bieber really is a Christian. If he is, I pray someone will come along and disciple this young man. I pray someone will help him truly understand what God's word says. I pray he will use his talent and clout to bring God alone glory. I hope it happens soon, since he is looking up to Usher and others for leadership!

Until then, we will keep listening away to Christian contemporary music. This is one fad we will not be caught up in. And who needs to? There is so much wonderful Christian music available. We can have just as much, if not more fun, at a Christian rock concert. Trust me, we just did with Newsboys and Winter Jam 2011. We will skip this Never Say Never movie.






No comments: