Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Homeschool Funnies and Teaching Greek

Sometimes if I don't laugh at some of this stuff, I will go crazy! So here is an example of how today is going with homeschool.

For our Bible curriculum lesson, I asked each of the kids their birthday's and where they were born. This is the conversation with Taya, my youngest:

Me: When is your birthday?
Taya: September 1st.
Me: Where were you born?
Taya: Disney World.

Not sure if that is good or bad that the child actually thinks she was born in Disney!

In math, Delena is struggling to understand the concept of division. I asked her how many times does 8 go into 8. She responds "4" And this is just an example of how math is going....

Time for a Shurley English test. Delena has to classify the sentences. For some reason she marked the word "read" as a Subject Noun. I asked her to show me a read, pick up a read or otherwise touch a read. She replied you can't because that doesn't make sense. I asked why does that not make sense to which she replied "because it is an action, it is something you do." Ok, we are onto something. So I ask her, "if the word is an action, what do we call it?" She replies, "A noun!"

Yep, that has been my day. This after I get the kids up early to be out of the house by 8:45 to get Delena to tennis lessons that turned out to be cancelled because - of all things - it decided to rain this morning!

Moving on....I was so excited yesterday to learn about a curriculum that teaches Biblical Greek and designed for homeschool children. It is called, Hey Andrew! Teach Me Some Greek. From what research I have done, it appears as though I can start Delena in level 3, where she will begin to do copy work and read out of an interlinear Bible. I'm excited because I want to learn it too, so I am going to attempt to do the work along side her as I teach it. I think it would be really neat to learn to read the New Testament in the Original Language!! Now I have to decide if I want to start this now or wait until the new school year.

That is the one thing I love most about homeschooling.....


1 comment:

Kat Heckenbach said...

Hey, I'm laughing along with you, because my week is going the same way....even paralleling on finding some new curriculum, although mine is a phonics workbook.

Yep, homeschooling is nothing if not interesting and unpredictable!