Saturday, July 10, 2010

Calvin's 501 Birthday

Last year was the 500 year anniversary of John Calvin's birthday. In honor of it, my husband bought me the 1599 Geneva Study Bible - Calvin Legacy Edition for my birthday. It isn't really a Bible I study from, but an awesome addition to have in my own collection. (He is learning his way around the reformed bookstores --- one day he will actually get me Wayne Grudem's Systematic Theology).

All the hoopla surrounding last year's anniversary (Calvin 500 Conference) is now gone and honestly I didn't even connect this would have been Calvin's birthday date. That was until I saw this blog post come up in my feed from Desiring God.

We spent a lot of time studying John Calvin when we did our unit study on the Reformation. I can honestly say I am truly thankful for the work Calvin did - he really was a Reformation hero. His story is worth checking out if you don't know much about the life and work of John Calvin. Here are two books we used:

John Calvin by Simonetta Carr

Reformation Heroes



No comments: