
2 We give thanks to God always for all of you, constantly mentioning you in our prayers, 3 remembering before our God and Father your work of faith and labor of love and i steadfastness of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ. 4 For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you, 5 because our gospel came to you not only in word, but also in power and in the Holy Spirit and with full conviction. You know what kind of men we proved to be among you for your sake. 6 And you became imitators of us and of the Lord, for you received the word in much affliction, with the joy of the Holy Spirit, 7 so that you became an example to all the believers in Macedonia and in Achaia. 8 For not only has the word of the Lord sounded forth from you in Macedonia and Achaia, but your faith in God has gone forth everywhere, so that we need not say anything. 9 For they themselves report concerning us the kind of reception we had among you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, 10 and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead, Jesus who delivers us from the wrath to come. 1 Thessalonians 1:2-10
English Standard Version
This past week has been more of a challenge to me. I almost dreaded having to prepare my Thankful Thursday because I have been in such a down mood all week. And I know the root of my mood - we are now going on 10 months of my husband being out of work! I have been cycling through a self pity party, I guess you could say. I'll think about how life is completely on hold right now because we have to stay on such a tight budget. I think about the zero job prospects at the current time. I think about how the interview that went so well just a few short weeks ago has proven to not be God's will. The more I think, the more unsettled I become.
Sure, it would be nice if while he was out of work, we could get some home improvements done. Our house needs painting. We live in a nice neighborhood going on about 10 years old. All the other houses are getting painted and it is only a matter of time before our HOA starts bugging us. We have the money to buy the paint but are worried about spending it. Our carpets need replacing but again, we probably shouldn't spend the money. Summer is approaching and the kids need clothes. We really WANT to buy a camper. And did I mention before I am having DISNEY withdrawal! It has been 6 long months since we have been to Disney - I am dying, here!!
Doesn't that sound like such a long whine? And senseless??? I am in a prophecy class and Tuesday night as we worked through 1 Thessalonians, we talked about suffering/trials/afflictions, etc. I realized that I have no reason to whine and that I really need to change my attitude to a heart of thanksgiving. God is allowing us to go through this trial because somehow, someway, in the end He will receive the MOST glory! I have to take comfort in that. I have to find hope in that.
On my street, there are 3 men laid off from work - we are the only Christians. Do you think they are watching us? I mean, the whole street knows we load up every Sunday and Wednesday to drive off to church. My husband has spent a lot of time in the garage doing some serious cleaning and organizing. He always has either the Christian radio station or his iPod of Christian music or preaching of Albert Mohler or John MacArthur. I am sure they notice. People all around are watching...how are those Christians going to handle this? How is their God going to come through for them? So complaining about not being at Disney on these beautiful spring days isn't helpful to my witness. Neither is an attitude of fear and despair. Here is an awesome opportunity to show others what hope in the Lord really is. They are watching and now is our chance to share what Hope is Jesus is!
I so want us to come through this with God saying, "well done, good and faithful servant." So today, unlike my usual Thankful Thursday posts, I am going to give Thanks to God for all that has happened since my husband has been laid off work! This will help me change my heart towards more of an attitude of praise and thanksgiving seeking to give God all the glory in everything - including our trials!
- I am thankful that we took a week to go visit Georgia to see my husband's parents.
- I am thankful that even though Mark didn't have a job, we were able to take a Disney vacation back in September before our passes expire. Yes, we stayed 7 nights for under $250! (Ft. Wilderness at $30 a night ROCKS)!! And friends willing to loan us a camper rocked! Even during that trip, I got a girls night away to Deeper Still in Orlando to see Beth Moore, Priscilla Shrier and Kay Arthur.
- I am thankful that Mark has been such a huge part of homeschooling during this time off. He has helped with Math U See, helped my little guy read, helped with projects and taken lots of field trips with us. He has gotten to go to Park Days, Christmas Parties, Field Day, Book - it and Science Co-Op Days. He has been able to come to football and soccer games where the kids cheered and he has helped coach the recreational football, soccer and now softball teams.
- I am thankful we had an awesome Christmas!
- I am thankful that we didn't give into every want and desire over the last few years (which means I am so thankful we didn't purchase a camper last year - I'd be heartbroken to have to sell it). This allowed for us to save for the rainy year ahead! Also Thankful for that Dave Ramsey class we took a few yeas back!
- I am thankful that for the last 10 months, I have had my hubby at home. We have certainly enjoyed the time, even though we couldn't do everything we wanted. It has been nice having him around and in the end, we will finally once again have an organized and clean house! He can at least work on the non-expensive projects. Nothing wrong with organizing!!
- I am thankful that I am learning to coupon! That has really helped in our grocery bill.
- I am thankful for family who has been faithful to help us out. Mark's parents and sister have been sending us money every month - even though we aren't asking for it. Hopefully one day we can return the blessing in an abundant way!
- I am thankful that through it all - God continues to provide and be faithful in those provisions. When I was having such a tough time the other day, Mark sat down with me and showed me exactly where we were financially. I was pleasantly surprised. We are doing OK. Through it all, we haven't been late on 1 bill. Haven't had to miss a mortgage payment. Have a bit of money still in savings to help out. I have my contract job and he has done some contracting work as well - though not a full time job by any means. Even with no benefits - we have all stayed healthy and well.
Yes, this has been a hard trial. And I would be lying if I said I wasn't ready for it to end. Yet, God knows every detail of everything we are going through and I know He has a plan. I will trust. I will wait. I will be anxious for nothing.
SOLI DEO GLORIA!
To join in or read more heartfilled thanks, please join in here.
3 comments:
Dana, I love that you made the 'heart choice' to change your perspective. Sometimes we find ourselves in the midst of circumstances we didn't ask and don't want. Believe me, I can identify.
But you're so right; people are watching us. How does a Christian react when life isn't easy? It reminds me of Job. When life was going well, of course Job would worship God. But when he was afflicted what would he do? Job never stopped worshiping God and recognized all he had came from God.
Thank you for visiting Heart Choices and mentioning that our posts had a similar theme. I'm so glad I came back to visit you. Although our circumstances may be different we are both going through a difficult season. I pray that we would both be found faithful to praise God in the midst of the storm and that non Christians might see the difference and ask how we do it. I want God to be glorified in me and through me. I pray the same will be for you.
Blessings,
Debbie
Will be praying for your family.
For someone who originally started being reluctant to do TT this week, you sure have a thankful heart.
It cannot be easy being out of a job. My husband and I are in a new country cos he's going back to school. Support is supposed to come from home but it has not really been forthcoming. We are expecting a baby and have no noticeable source of income. In this country we cannot even work! So how are we going to survive? We are God's children, we will survive somehow.
Trusting God is one of the hardest things we're learning. But it is so rewarding. Your family will be alright...God has not brought you so far only to abandon you. He has engraved you in the palm of His hands; He's watching you carefully and will always step in just when you need Him to.
Have a wonderful weekend and God bless
sharon
Post a Comment