Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Catechisms

Everyday I try to walk about 3 - 5 miles. Summer is coming quickly here in Florida and I need to get ready - plus walking is excellent exercise (but we already knew that). I love my walks but here is how nerdy I truly am. I love to listen to Ask Anything Wednesday on the Albert Mohler Radio Program. So I have been going back in time and downloading archives to my iPod and listening to old episodes as I walk. I look forward to that time because I learn so much.

Anyway, one show a caller had called in and asked about teaching Catechisms to our children. Honestly, I had hear a similar question before on the program and remembered Dr. Mohler's positive response to teach them. At that time, I really didn't pay particular attention to it....my kids are already immersed in homeschool work in which we thread all of it with Biblical truths. My oldest, D., does in depth Bible study by using Kay Arthur's Discover 4 Yourselves books which I have discovered give the parents in our church heartburn...they are more work than most parents are willing to put fourth in their own Bible study. So the idea of memorizing Catechisms wasn't that appealing.

I'm not sure why on this particular day that question peaked my interest. Again, Dr. Mohler exhorted parents to teach Catechisms to our children. I honestly wasn't even sure what they were. After my walk I came home and did a little research, expecting to purchase a book or something (Spurgeon's and Piper's were two recommended).

However, I found the ones that John Piper wrote, they seem very similar to Spurgeon's, right on his website. Now I am working with both kids to memorize all 118 Questions along with the Lord's Prayer, The Apostles Creed and the 10 Commandments. Eventually my youngest will get in on the memorization also but at least for now she is hearing and being a part of the discussion.

While I haven't figured out the best way to work them into our daily routine, we are working on it. I try to lay the question out, talk about it and help the kids practice reciting them. I also gave a few incentives....a DS or iPod touch to each as they memorize all of them :) I know they seem a bit dry however, like Dr. Mohler said, they are very important. It is so important for our children to not only know Bible passages (or stories) but to know and understand Doctrine as well.

I was emailed a poll yesterday that MSNBC is conducting about whether or not homeschool text books should be allowed to "dismiss" Evolution. I wasn't really fond of how the question was worded because our children need to be a ready defense....they need to know what Evolution teaches in order to be prepared to combat it with God's word. I was shocked by all the negative comments, although I probably shouldn't be. I held my tongue and didn't comment, just cast my vote and thought how awesome a responsibility we have as parents to train our children. The world is growing so increasingly hostile to Christian's that I think their adult life may face far more persecutions that we realize.

After reading Ken Ham's book, Already Gone, I realize the vital importance to teach our children doctrine, truth, and the rich jewels found in God's Word. Memorizing Catechisms is a way to help grind these truths into our children's memory.

Here is the link to John Piper's Catechisms at Desiring God.


Also, here is a link to Spurgeon's Catechisms.

I pray my children grow in Spiritual Knowledge of God's truth. I want them to understand doctrine and to understand the Bible. And for them to be a defense with their views and opinions rooted in a Biblical worldview.

What about you? I would love to hear your ideas. Do you use Catechisms? Which ones?

No comments: