It does seem as though kids are not as interested in outdoor play time. Even with my own kids - given the choice they would pick the Wii over playing outside. For awhile, I allowed it. But then I realized they weren't getting enough free time outside to just play - be creative - play backyard games of football and soccer and good ole' Hide 'n Seek.
I know times are different. We live in a gated neighborhood, and although I allow it some, it does make me nervous to have the kids play in the front yard or ride bikes because I see cars flying down the road and not watching out for kids playing in the street. Our neighborhood is small too, but on the straightaway's - those cars drive too fast. It only takes a split second for my 3 year old to dart out in front of one - even under my watchful eye!! I know not only is safety an issue with regard to cars but people can't be trusted either. The way my home is situated, I can only see a small portion of the yard.
I do like for the kids to get together with the other neighborhood kids and play but I feel like if they play in the front yard, I typically need to be out there with them! I like for them to play in the backyard, we have a real nice backyard and the kids seem to enjoy it. But again, I usually have to push them outside. In other words, give them no choice but to go outside.
Since I homeschool, I am able to make sure it happens. When I was in school, I always looked forward to recess after lunch. I had no problem playing and enjoyed it. It also seems as though biking has become less popular, probably because there isn't many places to ride. Where I live, subdivisions are everywhere and you would think it would be safe to ride bikes but like I said before, cars speed through the streets. Plus you have to worry about mean people kidnapping and doing crazy things - so even our neighborhoods are not safe. When my oldest started riding w/out training wheels, she rode before two of her friends (both boys, one of which was a year older)...btw, she was almost 7!
I just found these articles sad. We as parents really need to be proactive in encouraging our children to play outside and to play well! Now if the rain would go away :)
1 comment:
So, was there no adult watching the kids before the "recess coach" was hired? The kids were running wild, unmonitored? If the issue was bullies and boredom, that could be rectified with a teacher walking around looking for kids starting trouble and intervening. That's how it was done when I was a kid! And we never had trouble finding stuff to do.
Post a Comment