Monday, January 4, 2010

New Year

It is already 2010! I cannot believe how quickly time goes by lately. It seems that I as I get older, time goes by quicker and quicker.

So here I am, attempting to get this blog off the ground. It seems I have good intentions but then go months without doing anything. I want to get it going again so we will see if I can keep up.

Today we start back to Home School after a nice two week break. We begin a new unit in our Tapestry of Grace - Unit 3 of Year 2 - Of Crowns and Colonies. This is the day I have waited for ever since we started homeschooling...the beginning of American History. On the agenda today is a salt map of the United States. Another project is a book of each of the 13 original colonies...their agriculture, their customs, their jobs, etc. I got a great book from the library called Steve Carney's Kid's America. It has some fantastic crafts, folklore tales and other information related to Colonial America. I am looking forward to going through it and using some of the neat craft ideas.



Our study of the Reformation was awesome. I love it that my kids learned much about Martin Luther and John Calvin. My youngest named one of her Webkinz she got for Christmas, Luther. We still have not had our unit celebration on Renaissance and Reformation. I might combine it with the colonial unit celebration somehow. We had planned it for Saturday but pressing issues at my mom's house forced us to cancel for now.



I am thrilled the kids get to see a direct correlation between the time of the Reformation to Colonial America. I hope they learn and understand how precious their religious freedom is and never take it for granted. We could be heading to rough waters here in the US and Christians are facing more and more persecution.



I will try to post at least a few times a week and see if I can keep this up. I am still not sold on the title of the blog, so don't be surprised if the name changes....again.

No comments: