Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Do You Have a Hero?

I started listening to a very interesting discussion on Albert Mohler's radio program....the subject was Hero's - Are there any left?

It does seem that looking to modern day people, there are few heroes. Those we esteem somehow always let us down. I know my kids really liked Tiger Woods, especially as they began their own golfing journey. They became disillusioned with him when they found out he was Buddhist. They have no idea about his recent behaviors and what all has happened.

As I was listening, I pondered the question myself. Who are my heroes?? I wasn't sure I really even had any but as I thought about it more and more, I could certainly think of a few. Here is a small list. I am going to divide them into 2 categories: Past/Present

Past:
Martin Luther - It didn't take thinking for long to realize that the admiration I have for Martin Luther most certainly qualifies him as one of my heroes. No, I don't agree with everything Martin Luther did or said. In fact, we have some deep theological differences. However, his courage and unwavering commitment to study God's word and help others study it themselves is amazing. I can't even begin to think about how he felt at the Diet of Worms, knowing he could be killed for simply not recanting what we take for granted these days, free speech. Martin Luther did so much in his lifetime that has allowed us to be in the church we are today. I think if I had to pick one single person, other than Biblical people or Jesus of course, it would be Martin Luther.

John Calvin and the other Reformers - we just spent a unit study on the Reformation. Of course, I already had much respect for Calvin. Our family is deeply indebted to his work and commitment to the Doctrines of Grace (yes, we are Calvinist). But again, just reading in detail about him and the other Reformers, we have a great nation and ability to have church because of the work they did under persecution.

Present
Kay Arthur - Thanks to Kay Arthur and Precept Ministries, I have learned the inductive study method and it has transformed my study life. I used to think I couldn't understand the Bible without study notes or commentaries. I am learning more and more to rely on this study method and then search commentaries rather than commentaries first. I absolutely love to study the Bible inductively!

John MacArthur - This man's ministry has meant so much to my family. It was because of his book Charismatic Chaos that our eyes were opened to the false teachings of charismatic churches I grew up in. Also his other books helped us see the incredible watering down of the gospel in seeker churches. My husband and I have learned so much from his sermons and teachings. The Gospel According to Jesus and The Truth War are two books that are a must read!

Albert Mohler - He probably wouldn't like being called a hero, but in reality I guess that is what he is. We are Southern Baptist and just admire his commitment to the SBC. He addresses the things that are wrong and sets out to fix them. His commentary on his radio show has really helped me to think through events with a very Biblical worldview. He sometimes helps me keep a level head! I love his Ask Anything Wednesday programs. I feel honored to be a part of the SBC when someone like Albert Mohler is a leader within it. I sometimes wish he would come back to the Central Florida area and be a full time minister in church so we could go to it. But then again, I hope he stays President of The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary long enough for my kids to attend.

Of course, these are just people. People who have been an encouragement to me in my life. I can think back through the years and see that those heroes have changed. They have fluctuated from Christian singers like Michael W. Smith and Petra to Beth Moore in more recent years. I guess as I grow and mature, my admiration for people grows and changes as well.

None of this would go without saying that no one serves as a better hero than Jesus himself. I praise God everyday to be one of the elect, chosen before the foundation of the world to be a follower of Christ. Jesus was the ultimate hero because he was perfect. He never failed. He never lets us down. He gave up his life, died on the cross to save us from our wickedness and sin. He defeated the powers of darkness and gives us eternal and everlasting life. No one could ask for a more perfect, loving, saving, giving hero than that!

I know as a parent, I will have the opportunity to work through the hero thing with my own kids. I pray they put Jesus first. I have already seen some maturity in my 9 year old who this time last year would have said Miley Cyrus was a "hero." However, her behavior change over the last year and unacceptable dress and dance at the concert, she has lost her hero status. Thank God my daughter sees the lack of good judgement and discerns that just because someone is popular, pretty and famous doesn't make them a good role model or hero.

I still have to finish listening to the rest of the program but thought the discussion was so interesting. I know there are many unsung heroes who are ministering to people everyday in the wake of persecution. Heroes right now are serving the people of Haiti. While many will fail us and let us down, its good to know that there are still people committed to the truth of God and can rightly serve as a hero.

No comments: