I haven't worked too much yet on teaching fictional writing. We have focused on expository writing, newspaper articles and journal writing. Mainly because this is what Tapestry of Grace's Writing Aids assignment was or the writing assignment in Shurley English. The idea of fiction writing appealed to Delena though. She has played around with some fiction just on her own. So a good book to help her work through developing characters, plot and setting would be good.
That is exactly what "Reach for the Stars, A Young Fiction Author's Workbook" does. Down loadable as an E-book, the workbook takes students grades 3-8 throughout the creative story developing processes. I am really excited to get started, as evaluations are coming up soon and I (of course) worry that we don't have enough writing samples. Anyway, here is a link of Susan Marlow's writing website. There are some free samples to download as well.
While reading through her website, I discovered a series of books from the Circle C Adventures series written by Susan Marlow. There are 6 books and a free downloadable literature guide with each book. Delena loves to read Little House on the Prairie books so I thought she might enjoy these. Plus, time wise they are just a bit ahead of where our Tapestry of Grace unit study is at. So they would be a nice addition to our TOG. I printed out the sample of the first chapter of the first book for Delena to sample. She loved it! She ran in the homeschool room all excited and ready to read more. This is really encouraging because Delena doesn't enjoy reading all that much. I will gladly cultivate an interest in reading! Here is the link to the Circle C Adventure series.
I will update later how the workbook and the fiction series work out for Delena! The wonderful thing about the ebook, it can be used again with Caleb & Taya!!
No comments:
Post a Comment