Today, we picked up the meat from the first cow we ordered. I am very excited to try it. But it was nice to meet the farmer and talk to him awhile. It was a nice change to see his concern for how he raises his animals - as opposed to what we get in the grocery store. He spent a lot of time today educating us on the difference in free roaming farm raised animals and how the animals mass produced for grocery stores are raised. He explained the politics behind "organic" food. It was quite interesting. I feel confident we will enjoy the 1/16th of a cow we have (we split this with my friend, Betsy's family). Tonight, we are grilling a sirloin roast from the cow. I will have to blog about the difference once we have eaten the meat some.
Betsy also started ordering chickens through a food co-op. She gave us a couple of whole chickens to try. Next time she orders, we will order some too. Otherwise, still getting chicken at Publix when it goes on sale.
Another thing we do with Betsy's family is purchase wild fish from a restaurant depot. We have gotten Tilapia, Salmon and Tuna. We didn't enjoy the Tuna as much but the Talapia is pretty good. There is a noticeable difference in the fish cuts from the restaurant depot and the cuts at Publix. Much the same as the difference in cuts at Publix and Walmart. Really makes you most people think that sounds disgusting and not safe. We have researched the farm we buy the milk from and trust they are handling the milk safely.
There are lots of good articles online about some of the myths surrounding raw milk and pasteurized store bought milk. It was very eye opening!
Eating this way does take time and money. I used to get some amazing deals with couponing. I have pretty much given it up because most of the savings come from buying processed foods that we are trying not to eat. We haven't given up all processed foods yet but we are working on it. Now if I could just learn to make bread that actually tastes good that doesn't come from a bread machine box!
I would love to hear any other ideas and suggestions!
No comments:
Post a Comment