Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Kayaking with a Dolphin

We just returned for a somewhat "mini" vacation.  I say "mini" because my husband worked for a few days while the kids and I "vacationed."  We camped at one of our favorite spots near the beach and on the water.

It was hot!  It was buggy!  I am assuming the bugs were really bad the first few days from the rain from Isaac.  In fact, the first few days, we were among only 8 campers in the whole place.  The campground had been evacuated earlier in that week and only reopened the day we checked in.  I'm sure that contributed to the low turnout among campers.

Anyway, on to the highlight of the trip!  Because our campsite is located directly on the water, it makes fishing and kayaking really easy.  One of my favorite ways to spend the day is out paddling on the water.  There are so many beautiful and amazing fish all around and when the water is clear, you can see so much.

There is a sort of lagoon area near our campsite, with surrounding sea wall, just a short paddle away.  Starting Wednesday, a dolphin decided to spend the remainder of our trip hanging out in that lagoon.  So I loved to paddle out to the lagoon and just spend time watching him swim all around.  It became a challenge to get his picture or video.  Sometimes, he would love to surprise us and come up right next to the kayak!  Sometimes he would get adventurous and jump high chasing fish.  It really was a neat experience.  There were times I was just awed by this creator God created and how he attempts to interact with humans watching him.  He really was the highlight of the week!

I did get a few pictures and one really great video of him!

Now, I'm honestly glad to be home.  Today we pick up homeschooling in full swing!!



2 comments:

tammi said...

So where ARE those pictures???? What a very cool experience!

Sharon said...

That IS a really great experience! Can't wait to see the pics!