D., my oldest, has expressed an interest in Cheerleading. I was happy she is interested in trying something new she hasn't before.
We are a part of a homeschool group that is a ministry of a large SBC church in our area. We originally joined this year because they offer Cheerleading. So on Thursday we went to our first practice and D. loved it.
I admit that I had been away from the whole cheerleading scene for so long, I honestly forgot about some of the less that appropriate moves or clothing or dances. I was so pleased that our cheerleading coach has made a rule of no inappropriate dance or cheers. This is a very modest cheerleading group. There will be no short cheerleading dress, but rather shorts and a t-shirt.
Then the coach talked with the girls (and a few boys including my Kindergartener son) about how they are there to encourage the team. Even when the score is 0-42, they are still to be the ones cheering the team on. She told them how this is Biblical to uplift and encourage one another.
I really was blessed by the whole experience. I like how the group isn't making the cheerleading team pretty girls who are there to show off, but to encourage and uplift our team in a modest and appropriate way.
I am excited for D. to be a part of this and I now have a new outlook on something I thought once was sortof a useless sport.
No comments:
Post a Comment