Thursday, December 2, 2010

She Got It!

Ok, two quick moments yesterday to share with all my 2 readers :)

First, we are working through "Who is God?" by Summit Ministries and Apologia. The book has been really good in helping talk with the kiddos about framing a Biblical worldview. It has had a few teachings I disagree with, particularly free choice in salvation (I would prefer a more Reformed teaching). But we are continuing through the book and the kids enjoy it.

Yesterday we talked about how "things" around us can help shape our worldview, whether we realize it or not. Everything from TV shows, movies and songs to the people around us. We discussed how everything we read or watch - the person writing it has a worldview that somehow is portrayed in what we see. We discussed specific examples.

Then, out of the blue, my oldest tells me something that she picked up on. She said that in a Bibleman DVD, Bibleman says that we cannot trust our "feelings". This, of course, is based on Proverbs 3:5, "Trust in the Lord with all your heart and do not lean on your own understanding." She continues that in Star Wars, Obi Wan instructs Luke to "trust his feelings." She noted that these two worldview conflict with one another. Wow, what an awesome opportunity to open up discussion about believing what the Bible says because it is truth and how the world will always try and tell you something different.

I do realize that Star Wars has very real references to Eastern religions and philosophies. We discuss this very openly with the kids and try and show them areas that disagree with what the Bible teaches. Anyway, it turned out to be a neat discussion!

Second, Delena was spending some time studying her Bible alone yesterday. After some time, she comes out to me and asks the most profound question. "Mommy, how come pastors don't preach through the Bible? I mean, wouldn't it be a better way to preach by starting in a book and reading it all the way through helping us understand and entire book? All I ever see them do is teach on topics."

YES!!! My kid gets it!! Expository preaching is the BEST way to preach. I was so excited -- I told her a lot of pastors do teach that way, including our favorites like John MacArthur, John Piper, RC Sproul, Albert Mohler. I also explained to her that at the church we just left, that pastor usually would spend about half the year teaching that way. She probably never knew this because she as in "children's church."

At the church we are at now, the Pastor normally teachings expository but has taken a break for the year for a topical teaching. Honestly, it is quite annoying although his sermons have been good, some days they are phenomenal, it isn't the same. I am hoping he goes back to expository teaching next year.

Anyway, I thought it was so neat that she picked up on that! I really think she will enjoy her MacArthur ESV Study Bible she is getting for Christmas.

2 comments:

tammi said...

Very cool! For so many years, I've heard "we haven't discussed this with our kids; they're just not at the age where they'll understand it anyway." And I have come to believe that kids really do understand more than we think they do! More and more, I'm thinking that statement is a cop-out for parents who don't think teaching biblical truths to their children is really all that important.

I have LOVED discussing difficult subjects with my girls and it thrills me that they're interested and that THEY often initiate the discussions!

Sharon said...

Yes, I agree that children are much smarter than they are given credit for. That is so wonderful that she is interested in the Bible and what God has to say and applying it to her life!