This has always bothered me, but I know it isn't a new thing. And I guess it really should have not surprised me, either.
I remember a few years back, the seeker church we were attending was going to have a whole series on secular songs. I don't remember which 5 or 6 songs the pastor chose, I do remember one was by Train. I quietly complained to a girlfriend and my husband that I didn't think it was appropriate to sing a secular song in church. That Sunday that the was supposed to be the first sermon on whatever song, I get to church to find "Cancelled by the Holy Spirit." Apparently the pastor had a change of heart and instead we did 5 weeks learning about modern worship songs. Sometimes I can't believe I tolerated such nonsense as long as I did. I'm still not sure the whole thing wasn't one big publicity thing.
Anyway, I remember a couple of times when our church merged with another church in town and we were suddenly in a big building w/ fancy lights, etc..the band sang that song, "I'm Gonna Be (Five Hundred Miles)" by the Proclaimers. Yes, yes, I know Steven Curtis Chapman sang it too on his love album, but really, in church?
I don't know about you, but when I go to church --- I want to worship God! A holy God not confined to the human flawed understanding of love or relationships. Sometimes nothing is better than hymn soaked in truth. Sometimes I love the newer music (thinking Casting Crowns version of Glorious Day)....or Jeremy Camp's The Way. This is what I want to hear at church, not Katy Perry, not Train, not the Proclaimers, not U2, not any secular music.
I guess I am way more old fashioned that I would have admitted a few years ago. But I think our music in church should bring God glory, not talk about how great we are, not how we should show people our own worth and goodness.
You can probably guess I am no longer at a seeker church? What about you, any comments on the use of non Christian music in church?
Meanwhile, here is one of my all time favorite songs to sing. I wish I could've found Travis Cottrell singing it but didn't. But this is a good version :)

Anyway, I remember a couple of times when our church merged with another church in town and we were suddenly in a big building w/ fancy lights, etc..the band sang that song, "I'm Gonna Be (Five Hundred Miles)" by the Proclaimers. Yes, yes, I know Steven Curtis Chapman sang it too on his love album, but really, in church?
I don't know about you, but when I go to church --- I want to worship God! A holy God not confined to the human flawed understanding of love or relationships. Sometimes nothing is better than hymn soaked in truth. Sometimes I love the newer music (thinking Casting Crowns version of Glorious Day)....or Jeremy Camp's The Way. This is what I want to hear at church, not Katy Perry, not Train, not the Proclaimers, not U2, not any secular music.
I guess I am way more old fashioned that I would have admitted a few years ago. But I think our music in church should bring God glory, not talk about how great we are, not how we should show people our own worth and goodness.
You can probably guess I am no longer at a seeker church? What about you, any comments on the use of non Christian music in church?
Meanwhile, here is one of my all time favorite songs to sing. I wish I could've found Travis Cottrell singing it but didn't. But this is a good version :)

No comments:
Post a Comment